KaLeiDosThoughtsbutterfly

Random thoughts... Happy Thoughts... Sad thoughts... Anything goes!!!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

School load(ed)

One of my virtual classmates posted this article in our discussion board:
"Adult in session"

It provides tips for adults going back to virtual classrooms.

In my post on going back to school, I mentioned that a lot of people asked me why I am up taking up my current course (Master in Distance Education) which is so different from my line of work. And I told them that I took it because i like it and it will make me happy. I never realized though the price of happiness!

The course load is heavy – lots of assignments and readings (geez! tons of online books to be read!) and I had culture shock at the start of the school year. Actually am still adjusting up to this date. The pain in my head, neck and shoulder that has been hounding me since February also makes me so exhausted and lessen my concentration (good thing that after a long time and frequent visits to health providers the pain has finally lessened even if not completely gone). My commitment as team leader in our prayer community has also compounded the difficulty.

Sometimes I would ask myself why go through all the stress, it won’t even make me rich. Then I would think about our course project – designing a course online, the prospect of bringing it “live” in our office… of actually implementing it… and I get excited! I am not even sure if management will allow me to put it through but I will worry about that later… I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed while working on the project.

We are only on the first part of the project… the development will take till the completion of the course. I still have to work on it a lot. My presentation is so “simple” compared to those of my classmates (a lot of them are really going to be good teachers… hmmm… some of them are teaching already) and I am finding myself to be a bit stubborn. The course guide already prescribes proper procedures yet I still do it my way… the way I’m comfortable with, the way I would actually be putting it online. I can’t seem to force myself to follow the criteria for grading (Arghhh… stubborn me) but despite it… despite the difficulties. I really envision myself putting up my assignment online. I don’t really know what’s going to be the reaction of my target learners – the Branch Managers in our office BUT I’d like to share the technologies I’ve come across with. I see how it is going to help our company if people try to move out of their comfort zone – that “status quo” mentality and forge ahead.

Guess, if I look at my load and status now with regards to my course it ain't really rosey... but when I look ahead and envision what's to come then the smile starts to appear on my face... sometimes you don't really look on the price but just savor happiness...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home