KaLeiDosThoughtsbutterfly

Random thoughts... Happy Thoughts... Sad thoughts... Anything goes!!!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kids' games

My nieces and nephews have just celebrated Linggo ng Wika (Philippine Language Week) in their school and they had to wear Filipino costumes on certain days and played Filipino games on Friday. However, not all of them got to join. Only John-john was able to join one game. I was asking them about the games wondering if they got to play the games I used to play when I was small but the games were mostly just relays...

I was thinking how my nieces and nephews missed so much... There were so many great games we played when I was a child from taguan to patintero to agawan base to tumbang preso to luksong baka to luksong tinik and of course syato! And who could forget bahay-bahayan! It was not just girl's game since we lived in a huge compound with other kids and there were lot of construction materials so that we actually build informal dwellings we could stay on and play... and then there were also lot of trees where we don't only get leaves for our bahay-bahay and tinda-tindahan but where we also climb and constructed tree houses or just tree "seat", where you could just stay put as you watch the going ons below...

Then of course we climbed and run on concrete fences and just stayed on the roof then jump from it...

A few days ago, I asked my 9 year old nephew if he could climb our roof so he could sweep it since he was light... and he said "Ano ba yan???" (What's that???) for him it was unthinkable to be climbing roofs...

They are so sheltered and get to play only games on the computers and consoles and those games you buy from the stores... what a pity... they don't get to really experience how it is to be "playful" and active and creative...

Anyway, kids are different now and I still think I was lucky to be able to live a KID in my own time... it was sooooo much fun! :)

PS... here's a link if you want to learn about Tagalog (which is the base of our national language- Filipino) and a page on some Filipino games ... well not exactly the games I played even piko is shown differently but at least a place to start and get some idea.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home