KaLeiDosThoughtsbutterfly

Random thoughts... Happy Thoughts... Sad thoughts... Anything goes!!!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Emilie Loring

My 16 year old niece was with us during our vacation. She is fond of reading books. I think she could just stay in the province… even locked up in a room just reading books and the Reader’s Digest collection of my aunt… hmmm pretty much like me when I go there for vacation, except of course, I also enjoy relaxing in my aunt’s garden and talking with my aunt and uncle.

My aunt has a collection of Emilie Loring books, most of which I have read a number of times already. My sister doesn’t want my niece to be reading love stories and wants her to concentrate on school, worried that she would have a boyfriend if she starts reading love stories. Hmmm, I don’t think she should worry about that. I read her books and I’m still without a boyfriend… Ahhh on second thought, maybe my sister should worry about my niece being an old maid if she gets hooked on Loring! Hahaha…

Anyway, I like Emilie Loring books. I started reading them around college. I was actually a late pocketbook reader. In high school, I would read only text books and short stories. I started with pocketbooks only when I had an accident in the summer before my senior year and was immobile for a while and started reading Nancy Drew and Hardy boys then I got hold of my aunt and her friend’s collection of Mills and Boon and Harlequin romance, then my classmate started lending me her Barbara Cartland books. I became a reader but I never enjoyed them like I enjoyed an Emilie Loring book. The heroine in the other love stories had to cry a lot and face so much turmoil before finally having their happy ending. In some I have cried so much while reading a book that I keep wondering why it is so. Then I got hold of Emilie Loring and Grace Livingston Hill. Hill’s books are tinged with spirituality where love (even a kiss!) is so sacred and I like that also. But Loring’s books were filled with adventure. They were not really complex but light and exciting where even love was an adventure! And I was hooked! My aunt started with a few collection of Loring and Hill but I would buy for her from second hand book dealers in the University area until she had a bigger collection.

I have stopped reading love stories a long long time ago and have not really been fond of the thick bestseller books, though I’ve read some too. I would rather read books on spirituality and other non-fiction books but occasionally I still get a Loring book (from a set my aunt gave me) and just enjoy reading. Even if I’ve read them so many times, I still have a happy feeling after finishing her book. Hmmm… suddenly, I hear adventure calling and wants to check out a Loring, maybe hope that love came laughing by? Ah sometimes it doesn’t but still one can’t deny the fact that it’s a great world! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home