KaLeiDosThoughtsbutterfly

Random thoughts... Happy Thoughts... Sad thoughts... Anything goes!!!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Children learn what they live...

I played nannie to my nephew this morning. Actually, he is already 6 years old and doesn't have to be cared for but mama told me to give him a bath so I bathed him. But prior to that I asked him if he wanted to help me wash dishes and he said yes... so he soaped the dishes while I rinsed them.

Actually there are 4 toddlers in my home... all courtesy of my siblings. Most nights when I get home from work, they will swarm at me and turn me into a playground... and mama would be shouting, telling them to stop!

My body could actually give jollibee and McDonald's a fair competition on their playground... imagine the toddlers turning it into an obstacle course... a slide (advantage of having long legs... or is it a disadvantage???)... a seesaw... a glider...what have you? Talk about the imagination of children and of course their tita beth :-) ... all these things going on in our family room while the oldies are watching the telenovelas and the children watching some too... Things could really be noisy... with children's laughter (sometimes crying too) and shouting on one hand and mama telling them to stop and keep quiet.

Oftentimes the kids really get too hyper that it drives my mama NUTS and scolds them. I could really understand her since sometimes they too get on my nerves but then again they are kids and they need to explore and learn things. We are a big household and sometimes the place could really be a riot and I wonder how these things affect the kids.

I remember a poem on a child learning what he lives. I wish I have that poster so I could place it in our family room to remind us, the oldies to have more patience and understanding for them. Anyway, thought i'd post here too:

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
~~~~~by Dorothy Law Nolte

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home